Orange Book Value App - Evaluate Price for Old Car
Few days back, I was traveling in a cab and heard an ad on radio channel 93.5 FM. The ad was of Orange Book Value (OBV) mobile app. This app helps you to identify the best possible price for any used vehicle and mobile phone.
I wanted to check price for my car. So, I downloaded the app and started exploring the app.
Initially, when I started my journey with the first page I had to fill basic vehicle details such as: Vehicle Type, Make, Model, Manufacturing Year, Trim and KM’s Driven. I was confused for “Trim” term and also explored what it means. Apart from this application I have never come across with such word. Well, after that I wondered for a moment and thought that every State/Province has different estimated price for the respective vehicle. As I was looking for “Select Location" option. I started looking for it. At a certain point I realized that maybe it should be in “Hamburger Menu”.
After a lot of struggling I selected “Mumbai” as my location and proceeded further. Here, I found out that I have to go to menu and select location. I wonder why they gave select location option here? As why user would again select location? Perhaps, it can be integrated along with the first screen itself.
I provided details and submitted information. But surprisingly, I got to see Advertisement in between. It was completely unexpected stage. It spoiled my excitement of finding a price for my car.
I close advertisement and got to a screen named OBV Result. In that case, they have shown evaluation criteria referred with Bad, Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent. As you can check in image. I was surprised to see content and it was confusing. For example, there is nothing as Bad evaluation price.
I was also seeing various other information in bottom bar such as recent searches, download reports and about OBV on a homepage.These options changed when I was on OBV results page. It was surprising as well. I was not able to understand the use of these options. Perhaps, it can be discarded. One can also feel these options as a stepwise progress bar.
Finally after all this struggling I got my evaluation price for my car. Lastly, I thought to do Advance Evaluation to get more precise value of my car and I got to see following screen where It's definitely difficult to submit condition for various vehicle components such as AC, Brakes and Car Exterior.
1. This entire experience could have been improvised by just having a simple form which takes main specifications of car that includes: Location, Vehicle Type, Make, Model, Manufacturing Year, Variant and KM’s Driven. It could have remove all unnecessary bottom bar items such as Recent Searches, Download Reports and About OBV.
2. Wrong flow may lead to wrong action and it can be frustrating. In this case, Location was in wrong place which take users time to find out.
3. Here giving ads, marketing of other app or services can be secondary. But, primary objective should be satisfied first. In this case, OBV shows Advertisement in between checking price for your old car.
What could have been improved:
1. Select Location option should be on first page of entering information rather than giving in advanced evaluation. It’s because vehicle evaluation varies from state to state, so to get estimated value user should locate themselves first.
2. Term “Trim” needs to change as user would not understand instead they can use other term such as “Variant”, which have also been used in other Car Portals.
3. Entire experience of presenting car price can be improvised by using normal terminologies that maps Indian context. It's very difficult to judge car condition on Bad, Fair, Average, Very Good and Excellent condition.
4 Advance evaluation is not at all easy. You need to submit details for each and every components and rate their condition as well. It requires tremendous amount of time and efforts to submit this information. Perhaps, they could design a solution which requires less information and submitting information can be also simplified.
5.There is definitely need of visual enhancement from all prospects such as spacing, alignment, consistency and visual hierarchy.
Thank you for reading. If you find this experience worth sharing then do share with your network.