Evernote App - Experience of Collect Photos
I use Evernote for taking and organizing my notes and reading them later. Now evernote has an android app which got a photo collecting feature. Whenever it detects text in my photos, say I screenshot something or I download or capture photo, which has some sort of text, It somehow automatically detects it and collect. Those deteced photos are collected in one tab (called "Collect Photos") and I can use them when I want.
Now it certainly makes it faster for me to take note about that picture without having hazzle to import a picture in my note and being able to use it easily.
But, not all pictures which are there with text are worth noting down so that section in evernote just keep stashing that scrap. Now there is not even an option to remove multiple images or all images together. I can save them all together but can only remove them one by one. So say I got 100 images collected automatically which I don't want, I have to remove them one by one. Also saving them, makes different notes for each photo and photos go away from that "collected photo" tab.
Generally saving means storing them for later use, but it's not, so that part was vague and bit frustrating. Trick to turn that off is hidden in notification settings in general settings. and that to sitting at last which I did not notice earlier and kept removing those photos manually.
- Automating some process is good and it makes people's life easy. But one should take care that in any use case if that feature is coming in user's way then there should be an option to turn it off easily or there should be enough precautions that user do not feel stuck with it.
- Also traditional call to actions, like "save" should be used as they are used universally, otherwise it would confuse a user. If one is doing more than just that call to action, one should inform a user that they are doing it, like our example they could have shown, that in addition to saving photos they will also create separate notes for each of photo, so it doesn't come as surprise.
- There can be an option from where I can ignore/remove all collected photos.
- Also, toggle between turning on and off this feature could be easier. Because I would love this feature when I am having a lot of written notes and quick scribbles, and I want to digitalize them for my future use and archives.
- Instead of removing used photo from a collection, I guess keeping photos used in notes and keeping them separate might be helpful because I might not remember when I took the note and exact content but might remember the photo, so I can find it easy and be able to trace back to that note. This would also not be costing extra memory as they are already using and storing photos in my notes.
About Design Practice:
We are a group of UX Enthusiasts who are passionate to share good and bad experiences. We believe that we could design a better solution if we could learn from the real experiences. Feel free to subscribe below and get weekly updates.