Gmail - Reset Password
Most of the time I start my day with my laptop by checking email updates and replying to emails. A day before yesterday, I had formatted my computer. So, my chrome browser does not have my password stored. When I wanted to check email today morning, I opened my browser and went gmail.com. It asked my enter email id and password.
It’s been long time that I have not entered password as it was saved in chrome. Unfortunately, I forgot my password of gmail account.
I went to the forgot password link as same as any of one does when we forgot a password.
I assumed that I have to provide a number associated with email or secondary email and expecting an email from gmail for changing the password. But, when I started the journey for resetting a password, I saw "try another way" link on screen. I was curious to see what could be another way to reset a password. It basically provided various options to reset password as mentioned below.
1. Get a prompt to your phone
2. Get a verification code by text
3. Get a verification code by phone call
4. Get a security code on your Android device
5. Answer a security question
6. What is your last password
I choose "get a prompt to your phone“. I could immediately see a prompt on my mobile phone to authorize access with two options yes and no. This happens because I use same gmail id in my android phone. Once, I allow reset password action from my phone, I was redirected to a new screen where I was easily able to reset password.
I found this as one of the simplest way to reset password.
- It provides relevant options to user can enhance user experience. In this case, gmail knew that I use the same gmail account in my phone and thus it provided options such as Get a prompt sent to your phone or get a security code on your android device.
- It’ unconventional yet useful way to change password.
Nothing as such.