Lenskart - Unexpected Experience with Discount Offer
Lenskart.com has a lot of attractive offers on its products throughout the year. There was one such offer on a product which caught my attention..Buy 1 Get 1 free!
This offer was for a contact lenses solution, and being a regular user of lenses, I immediately wanted to buy it. Since I only shop for eyewear once in a while, I usually do it through the website. Now on their website, instead of the 'buy now' button, it displayed 'Buy 1 get 1 free'. I went ahead and clicked it.
This opened a shopping cart page as overlay, which displayed quantity as 1 in a text box and total price of 1 item. I was not sure if this meant I will be delivered 2 products or 1, so I tried to change the quantity, but it was not editable. Also, there was no indication of the Buy 1 Get 1 offer on this page. I then went back to the product page which had the same text box for quantity. Here I was able to change it to 2. But when I clicked on the 'Buy 1 get 1 free' button this time, the shopping cart showed 3 items and a higher total price than before.
This I later realised was because the initial 1 item was still in the cart..but at that time since I was in the mind frame of getting 2 products for the price of 1, it made me even more confused. I cleared my cart and ultimately just clicked on the Buy 1 Get 1 button with quantity 1. My only hope was that it would be 2 solutions in 1 box, since the button label itself implied Buy 1 Get 1.
Just for better order tracking purpose, I downloaded the Lenskart app and was happy to see my current order displayed there.
To my dismay, when the product got delivered, it was only 1 bottle of solution.
I immediately rechecked the offer on the mobile app. The app had only a 'buy now' button although the offer was mentioned below the product. On the cart page, I was also able to increase the quantity. When quantity was increased to 2, even though the doubled price was displayed below the product, the discounted price of 1 was also shown below. This was not the case on the website.
Extremely unhappy about my order, I contacted the customer care. The advice they gave me was that to get the free solution,I will need to return my current order and place another one with quantity as 2 this time :(
1. UI elements that appear editable, should be editable.
2. User should be able to complete their actions on the expected pages and not have to go back to previous pages, especially on a shopping site.
3. When giving special offers, and taking efforts to change UI elements (the 'buy now' button in this case), the rest of the flow should also be made more intuitive and user friendly.
Following changes would have improved the user experience-
1. On clicking the 'Buy 1 Get 1 Free' button, if user is taken to the cart and quantity is 1, either prompt the user to increase the quantity or change the quantity to 2 with an indication that he would be charged only for 1.
2. Display the actual and discounted price of the number of products selected so that the offer is clearly understood by the user.
3. If the user still fails to notice the quantity and price, display the same on the final checkout page as well.