Sodexo - KYC Experience
This time, I am sharing story of bad user experience from Sodexo.
The other day, I received an SMS from Sodexo to submit KCY details. The message was as following.
To Receive the next credit on your Sodexo meal card, please submit KYC details at https://kyc.sodexobrs.com ASAP. For TnCs click the http://bit.ly/KYCTnC
It was completed unexpected message as I activated my meal card long back and was expecting credit of the current month.
In fact, when I read url provided, it has mentioned brs (i.e. https://kyc.sodexobrs.com) as a postfix of Sodexo. Thus, I was a bit hesitant to open the link. I was also unaware that why Sodexo requires KYC as entire process happened through my company.
I did not have any alternatives. So, I decided to open a link and saw following screen.
This screen have just three components namely Registered Mobile/Email*, Last four digits of card number* and Captcha. I was not having my card in hand so I took my card from my bag to see the last four digits. I entered all details and submitted successfully.
I was wondering what if they could just have kept log in through mobile number and OTP. Moreover, the quality of captcha is really poor. Perhaps, alternative options for captcha could have been used such as invisible ReCapcha by Google.
After log in, I got to see following screen and it was completely disastrous experience.
You could see 5 grey boxes as mentioned below.
- No Details Submitted
- Minimum Details
- KYC Uploaded - Pending Verification
- KYC Complete - Verification Complete
- KYC Uploaded - Rejected
In No Details Submitted, I was able to see a red link to submit information.
I was wondering why should I see lot of information and it does not convey anything to me. I was unable to identify a purpose of these five information blocks. Information presented in each grey box is also confusing such as No Details Submitted and Minimum Details. This screen does not convey what I need to do for KYC verification and why should I do KYC verification.
When you click on submit information link, you get to see Upload KYC screen presented below.
You could see different layout and structure. But, they have mentioned here why one has to upload KYC. It’s because of RBI guidelines. I was happy for a while after reading this. But, my happiness did not last for long. The fields were too dynamic for providing aadhar details. You click on OTP and get to see a new field Received OTP by SMS where you enter OTP number and then you validate. After validation, you get to see Complete KYC with Know More in red link along with Upload option of Aadhar front image and back image with Optional tag.
I was amazed by this experience as it was unnecessarily complex and you could not predict what happens next when you click on Send OTP button or Validate button and in each interaction, you get to see additional information and call to action. I could see various links and secondary Call to Action button in red color. It gives a wrong impression and message. I was wondering how sodexo would present error message as they have used red color for call to actions as well as links.
When I submitted my Aadhar details, I was able to see following screen.
It’s a success message and the message is in Red. Initially, I felt that I did some mistake. Thus, I have received message in red. Later, I identified that it was a success message conveyed in red color content.
When you click on close on popup, I got to see below screen.
It has again a new table structure presenting Approve or Reject date, Status, Remarks and View. But, this screen has nothing to do with the first screen I saw with 5 status grey blocks. I was amazed to see this screen. I was wondering why it has Approve and Reject date. Perhaps, it can be integrated along with the status only. But, this screen is good as I could understand most of the information available.
- Never complicate simple things. This entire experience could have been improvised by just having a simple form for uploading details and once user uploads, user should be able to see the status of it.
- Wrong use of color can be disastrous. Sodexo misused red color for presenting content and it conveys wrong message.
What could have been improvised:
- Log in experience can be improvised by OTP based log in.
- Captcha can be removed by using alternate options such as ReCapcha by Google.
- After log In, they should have simply presented what users needs to submit and why. It could also present a status along with that whether document verification is under process, approved or rejected. It does not really require 5 big grey boxes.
- Inconsistency of layout can be consistent for upload tab.
- Needs a minimal and simple way to update KYC details such as Aadhar card number and OTP along with submit option.
- Ignore use of red color for links as it could misguide users and users could identify message in red as error or issue.
- Confirmation pop up screen can be improvised by using a right color and messaging.