SRIDE - Painful Journey to Stop Spam Text Messages
A lot of apps these days have a mobile number login. Being a designer, I generally love to explore a lot of apps on my mobile see the UX of it & then uninstall the apps.
But I find it extremely shocking that once you have registered with your mobile number, there is no way to unsubscribe to SMS messages when you have the app and when you uninstall the app.
Lot of apps have disable app notifications under settings but to my horror there are hardly apps which stop sms notifications. Let me share my experience of SRIDE.
Sride tried to be in the right direction by solving this problem but failed.
I installed SRide app which is a car pooling app. I uninstalled it after using it.
Step1: I got an SMS
"Saranya wants ride on Jul 1, 6pm from Microland Limited.. to #478, 2nd Main Road, ... Matches at sride.co/r/Y1F0NUI1amNVWA"
I clicked on the link & It opened a page which mentioned we have missed you at SRide. I clicked on a link To Stop SMS recommendations: Click here
There was a dropdown which asked me to Stop SMS recommendation for how much period.
Until this point UX was good & messaging was decent. But it had 2 major UX issues.
1. The drop down didn't have an option to permanently stop notifications.
2. When I clicked on 3 months which was the max period, It gave me one more shocking popup saying there's a technical error updating the preferences.
Till date I keep getting SMS.
Typically there are 3 types of SMS we get:
1. Relevant SMS
Messages which are very useful & convey right messaging at the right time.
- If we withdraw money from ATM we get notified regarding the transaction
- If we buy any product or order food from apps like amazon we get notified regarding the status of the the order ( order confirmation, shipment, delivery, cancellation etc.)
- Monthly reminder regarding phone bills, etc.
2. Unwanted SMS
These type of messages are those which you may have subscribed to earlier but you don’t want right now.
SRIDE is one of the many examples of apps which i installed just to try explore the design & UX. But I keep getting SMS notifications from till now & there is no way to unsubscribe from these notifications.
3. Spam Messages
Our mobile number keeps getting circulated without even our knowledge. We keep getting spam messages from different sources for the following
- Applying for Loans, credit cards, insurance etc
- Offers from unknown sources or stores
1. Companies should try and be GDPR compliant.
"The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA)."
Data privacy has become a huge issue & it needs to be taken very seriously. This will definitely be a great step in actually stopping Unwanted SMS & Spam SMS
2. Apps should be smart enough. They should stop sending SMS once the app is uninstalled or ask permission to the user to send SMS in the future.
3. Have Settings inside the app like they have for disabling SMS notifications the same way the way for stopping in app notifications.
4. Messages apps for Android and IOS need to be a bit like true caller which identifies Relevant and SMS messages the way it identifies Spam Calls.
About Design Practice:
We are a group of UX Enthusiasts who are passionate to share good and bad experiences. We believe that we could design better solution if we could learn from the real experiences. Feel free to subscribe below and get weekly updates.