TurboTax - First Time Experince of Tax Filing in US
It was the beginning of April, and there were only 2 more weeks to file for taxes. I was new to filing taxes on my own in the US. A friend suggested I file using TurboTax. I would like to point out my state of mind doing this whole exercise. Being an international student in the US, a tax refund would be a huge blessing to me.
Also, I wanted to be sure that I’m filing the taxes right - I didn’t want any trouble with the authorities. So the big questions was, could I trust an app to help me with this?
Trust in TurboTax. That is what this post is about.
TurboTax made sure it addressed all my concerns. It nails micro-interactions. The designers have really gone out of their way to make sure the user feels reassured. Some pointers on how the application achieves this:
1. It let me know what information it needs from me, and where I could find it.
2. At every single stage of the process, it kept me well informed with prompts to view more information if needed.
3. It let me know what the current action is, what how many steps are there to completion, and what the next action in the sequence is.
4. Error prevention & error correction: Throughout the flow, there were helpful little notes reassuring me that it help me fix any errors before filing.
5. Clear, cheerful UI: Filing taxes can be quite lengthy with too many minor details. The iconography, colors, fonts are designed to make the entire experience make the whole process a little less dry and boring.
6. Covering all possibilities: Because TurboTax has been doing this for quite a while, they’re utilizing their massive dataset to cover all possibilities for their users. At certain points during the process, it shows a few options saying “…TurboTax customers with a similar tax situation…tell us if any of these applied…”. Way to go above and beyond regular form filling!
7. Establishing trust through copy:
“We want to make sure we get everything..”,
“We’ll help you figure this out later when we cover your state taxes”,
“Double checking for every possible tax break”
..and many more such phrases drill down the message that the software is being very thorough throughout the whole process.
Nothing as of now. It's quite seamless experience.
About Design Practice:
We are a group of UX Enthusiasts who are passionate to share good and bad experiences. We believe that we could design better solution if we could learn from the real experiences. Feel free to subscribe below and get weekly updates.